Sunday, September 7, 2014

Elvis Presley's Birthplace, Tupelo, Mississippi


I LOVE Elvis. I love anything and everything Elvis. When I am looking for records to buy, I ALWAYS buy Elvis albums. He's my favorite and I just love him!

Remember how I said that I used to live in Mississippi? Well, I was only about 45 minutes from this little Elvis gem: the home that he was born in! NOT the home that he was brought home to after being born in the hospital, but the home that he was actually born in.

Elvis Aaron Presley was born here on January 8, 1935 to Vernon and Gladys Presley. He was an identical twin, having a stillborn brother, Jesse, born just 35 minutes before him. This two bedroom, shotgun style home was built in anticipation of the births by Vernon's father. Elvis grew up in this house until he was 3 years old. His father got involved in a check fraud scandal and spent 8 months in jail. During that time, the family lost their home and moved in with family. When Elvis was 13 years old, the family relocated to Memphis, Tennessee.

When you visit the property, there is a small museum that you can visit before going into the house. Yes, there is a small fee and pictures are not allowed inside, but it is amazing to see! None of the pieces inside are original but the structure itself is. Also on the property is a chapel and the Assembly of God church where the Presley family worshiped. If you think about it, technically it was Elvis' first stage and audience!


While visiting Tupelo, there are so many more locations that you can go and visit and see more history about Elvis. The elementary school he went to, the general store where his first guitar was purchased, etc. The city prides itself in it's history and preserving many historical locations!



-

Of all of the celebrity locations I have visited and all of the artifacts I have seen, America has preserved Elvis Presley more than anyone else out there. At almost every music-themed location I have visited, there is something Elvis Presley there! I could list forever all of the Elvis artifacts that I have see. Thus, the purpose of this blog! Over time, I will post as much as I can share and I will continue to look for fun, new things to see! Thank you for your support!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment