Saturday, August 30, 2014

John Lennon, New York City, New York

Last summer I traveled with my family to the East Coast and I saw so many wonderful opportunities for future blog posts! I didn't know at the time that I would be composing this blog, but I still had the curiosity to visit all of these amazing sites. I will do my best to get as many of them up as possible.

John Lennon. When I say his name, what do you think of? The Beatles? That boyish look? Those round glasses, long hair, and Yoko Ono? John Lennon is an icon in history that will remain with us forever.

On the evening of December 8, 1980, John Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, were returning back to their residence at The Dakota Building in New York City to say good night to their 5 year old son, Sean. Lennon was approached by a man named Mark David Chapman. Lennon had recognized him from earlier in the evening when he was signing autographs for fans outside of the famous apartment building. Seconds later, Chapman pulled out a .38 and shot towards Lennon 5 times. One passed over his head and went into a window and then two more were lodged into his back and two into his shoulder. Lennon staggered up the stairs and into the lobby of the building proclaiming "I'm shot. I'm shot." A couple of police officers rushed him to Roosevelt Hospital where Lennon was pronounced "dead on arrival." Lennon was cremated two days later and his ashes given to Ono. She then decided to spread his ashes across the street in Central Park. The area that she spread his ashes in is now called Strawberry Fields and there is a memorial to Lennon with the words "Imagine" in a large circular design.

The Dakota Building located on West 72nd Street

Lennon went through these gates after being shot. Ask the guards standing at the gate for more information. They get asked a lot! While you are also here, take it in for a moment that along the sidewalk is where Mark David Chapman paced back and forth after he shot Lennon.



Directly across the street is the Imagine memorial. There are many fans there daily paying their respects.

A view of the Dakota from Strawberry Fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment