Sunday, August 31, 2014

Biltmore Estate, Ashville, North Carolina

Small background on me: I used to live in Oxford, Mississippi. That was probably one of the most adventurous times of my life! I experienced a new culture and got to travel and see a different side of America that I had never seen before!

One of the locations that I visited was the Biltmore Estate in Ashville, North Carolina. This 'house' is the largest private home in America. It was built from 1889-1895 in the beautiful Ashville area by George Washington Vanderbilt II. This house featured 178,926 square feet of living space and 250 bedrooms! Vanderbilt had been visiting his mother often in the area and decided that this would be the perfect place to build a "summer house." During construction, Vanderbilt would go on extensive buying trips over-seas to furnish his new home. The house is full of amazing pieces from tapestries to furniture to artwork. Unfortunately, when you are on the tour, photography is prohibited. They will stop you!


The front yard complete with a fountain.

This was the only picture that I got in the house. I was politely asked to not take photos after this one!

A view of the "back yard!" Over 8,000 acres!



Looking for something fun to do while visiting the estate? Yes, there are places to eat on the estate and there is a winery and you can go wine tasting, but go across the street and check out the McDonalds! It's themed after the estate and even has a baby grand piano!!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment