Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas

Okay. I love Texas. It's one of my favorite places to visit and is my personal Grand Central Station. Almost anytime that I've had to fly somewhere, I fly through Dallas. I have a very close friend of mine who lives there so it's naturally a place that I gravitate to and visit often.

So here's the story. Back when I was living in Mississippi, it was Thanksgiving time and I didn't want to stay home alone for a week! So, I went to visit my very good friend, Jason, and his wonderful parents in Texas. I'm a big San Jose Sharks fan and I saw that they would be playing the Dallas Stars so I called Jason and begged him to go with me! Being that he would do anything for me, of course we went! Jason moved to Texas when we were kids and I learned something that I NEVER knew or even thought to think about until that night we drove to Dallas from him.

On November 22, 1963, President John F Kennedy was assassinated right here in downtown Dallas, Texas. Lee Harvey Oswald was in the old Texas School Book Depository building on the 6th floor. While The President and The First Lady, Jacqueline Kennedy, were riding in the back of their car, Oswald fired a rifle from the building that killed Kennedy.

Today the "grassy knoll" and the building are still there. The building has been turned into a museum called The Sixth Floor Museum. It is available for touring but since I came at night, we didn't get to take a tour. However, Jason had informed me that he had been there on field trips in school and pointed out to me the building and when we were at the grassy knoll, he showed me the two x's on the street that marked where Kennedy was shot.

While doing research on Kennedy's assassination, I came across so many different facts and theories about the infamous event. There was suspicion of a second gunman and of course, there's the blood stained, pink Chanel suit that Jackie wore that has become a historical outfit. (According to what I've read, the suit is in the National Archives and not on display at this time.) Kennedy was buried 3 days later on November 25, 1963 in Arlington National Cemetery. Coincidentally, it was his son, "John-John's" 3rd birthday.


The old Depository Building








Me and my "brother", Jason. Thank you for taking me that day. It's honestly a memory that I have cherished for years and will continue to forever!

Small little bit of trivia for you! Do you understand this clock? Dr. Pepper was created in Texas and one of their old advertising slogan was that you should have a Dr. Pepper at 10 AM, 2 PM, and 4 PM! Your blood sugar is the lowest at this time and having a Dr. Pepper gives you that extra boost of energy that you need to get through the day! 10, 2, and 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment