Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Cabazon Dinosaurs, Cabazon, Califorina

So one of my favorite scenes in a movie from when I was a little girl was from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (1985) when Pee Wee walks into a restaurant and says "Large Marge sent me." If you've seen the movie, the whole scene that takes place during this point may be a little scary for a young child, but I loved it! One of the things I loved the most about this scene was the dinosaurs featured! I was very pleasantly surprised as an adult to find out that they were a real roadside attraction!!

If you are traveling along I-10 on your way to Palm Springs, California, you will pass by a small exit in Cabazon where there stand two dinosaur sculptures. Originally, they were created to draw attention to a small restaurant nearby, the Wheel Inn Cafe. Sculptor Claude Bell started creating "Dinny" in 1964. Dinny is an apatosaurus and hosts a gift shop in his belly! Dinny got a friend in 1981 when Mr. Rex was constructed near him. You can go inside of Mr. Rex (a t-Rex) and sit in his mouth and see the view of the freeway. The dinosaurs were created using scrap materials from the construction of the I-10 freeway. Also on the grounds there is a museum featuring other smaller dinosaur sculptures and you can go in and view them for a small fee.

I've visited the dinosaurs a couple of times and I find them hilarious and fascinating every time! I think my most favorite memory though is when I went with an old friend and we got donuts and watched the sunrise. In the movie "Pee Wee's Big Adventure", Simone asks Pee Wee if he would like to go watch the sunrise with her and while they are sitting in the T-Rex's mouth, she asks him if he has any dreams to which he replies that he's rolling a big donut. Very special memory for me in my life!

 







No comments:

Post a Comment